The Alatornio's Church dates from 1797 and represents the ingenious neoclassical style of the church builder Jaakko Riifí. The medieval stone church, built between 1400 and 1500, has the present eastern cross opposite the main door. The simple wooden arches of the roof intersect at the center of the round dome.
The Tornio congregation stretched far north of the Tornion River valley on the Finnish and Swedish sides. Then the ecclesiastical conditions of this vast area began to be arranged by King Gustavs Vaasa in 1606. Then the governor of Ylitornio resigned from Tornio, and at the mouth of the Tornionjoki the Alatornio formed.
Summer Destination. Local Cultural History. Architecture. Church Mass is held on Sundays at 10:00 a.m.