Post-Communist Bratislava Tour
A funky retro tour in a legendary Czechoslovak 70s Škoda car or a crappy 8-seater Škoda 1203 van. We’ll take you to off-the-beaten-track places tied to Bratislava’s communist past and also show you some of the city’s recent transformations. Local insights are guaranteed!
- See the first prefabricated socialist apartment block in Czechoslovakia
- Check out abandoned industrial buildings (a brewery and a textiles factory)
- Explore the largest socialist housing project in Europe
- Discover political buildings and structures from Soviet times
- Ride under the controversial UFO-like SNP Bridge
- See border fortifications built by the Czechoslovak government in the 1930s
- Visit the Slovak-Austrian border – once part of the Iron Curtain
See a vast concrete housing estate, the Slavín war memorial, abandoned factories, riverside developments, a 1930s bunker, the former Iron Curtain border zone and lots of communist architecture on our post-communist Bratislava tour. Local insights are guaranteed!
Our guides will bring the story of 20th-century Bratislava to life: political changes, the city’s location, contrasts between rich and poor, development of the society, architecture and more.
Please note that in some cases we cannot guarantee the retro car (winter weather, car repairs, etc.) Instead we’ll get around in a funky green 1992 VW Caravelle or another ordinary car that’s in good health and has decent heating. Thank you for understanding.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Authentic refreshments